23.10.09

keeping things simple

One of the things I don't like about living in Riyadh is that the climate here makes my skin very dry. I go through a 500ml bottle of lotion in just about two weeks. But my biggest and most irritating problem is my scalp. It's extremely dry and itchy. When I can't help myself and scratch it, I can see actual flakes fall. And no, I don't have dandruff. I also considered scalp eczema but since my condition resolves within 2 days upon returning to the Philippines, it doesn't seem likely. 

I've tried changing my shampoo every few weeks, rinsing as thoroughly as possible each time and even applying oil but it remains as itchy as ever. I swear, if someone were to shave me bald this instant, my head would not be a pretty sight to behold. My hubby suggested applying a corticosteroid cream but it's a bit too drastic for me. 

Then, last week, I decided to try and use my son's baby shampoo. It was bit runny compared to my regular shampoo since, I guess, little people only need a small dollop for their fine hair. I had to pour a palmful for mine so I could get it to lather up properly. I was worried that it wouldn't manage to wash away the oil but after I finished rinsing, my hair felt very clean. I just applied a bit of conditioner to the ends of my hair, rinsed again and I was done.



I've been using it for a week now and guess what? No more itchy scalp! All this time the remedy has been right within my reach and I never thought of it till now. I guess the shampoos I've been using have harsh chemicals that aggravate my dry scalp with all their promises of healthy, shiny hair while the baby shampoo does what shampoos are supposed to do: clean. 

I  might have to buy a new bottle more frequently but with the intense relief I'm feeling these days, it's well worth it.


Mood Music: Simple Life by Lynyrd Skynyrd

2 comments:

  1. It's the same vanity issue here in UAE. Heehee. I'll try this one. Sana mahiyang din ako. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try it, try it! Hope it's effective for you, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. Have a wonderful day!