2.10.12

Until we meet again

"All Is Well" by Henry Scott Holland

We all knew that Papa's time with us was limited once he was diagnosed with stage 3 liver cancer last February but none of us were prepared to suddenly lose him without warning last Sunday, September 23. He actually "survived" until Tuesday but it was only through the aid of medications and a ventilator but the husbo and I knew he wasn't really there anymore. The family just needed Papa to hold on until J arrived from overseas so he could say his goodbye.

For the seven years that I was blessed to know Papa, I saw a man who loved his family above everyone and everything else except God. I never saw him angry nor heard him say anything bad about anyone. He was jolly, quirky, makulit, generous and kindhearted. He loved food. He never stopped dreaming. And his faith in our Lord never wavered.

I am crying as I'm writing this. I'm crying for the loss of someone I came to love dearly and to respect immensely. I'm crying for my husband who has lost his wonderful, loving father; for my mother-in-law who has lost her love and lifetime partner; for my boys who will never truly know one of the men I would've wanted them to emulate when they grow up, and whose love would've helped shelter, strengthen and comfort them through life.

To borrow words from Jimi Hendrix's The Story of Life:
The story of life
is quicker than
the wink of an eye,
The story of love
is hello and goodbye,
Until we meet again.

See you on the other side, Papa. We love you. <3


Mood Music: The End of the End by Paul McCartney