7.2.08

Thursday Thirteen # 14

Photobucket
13 WAYS THAT I'M ANALLY RETENTIVE (Obsessive-Compulsive)


1. English grammar, spelling and pronunciation. Mine isn't exactly perfect but I make an effort to.. If I'm not sure how a word is spelled or pronounced or what it means, I immediately look it up in the dictionary. And when I'm writing, I try to use proper grammar and syntax. I also have this bad habit of nitpicking other people's English when I'm reading their blog posts, e-mails and blurbs. Sometimes, when a friend mispronounces a word, I automatically blurt out the correct pronunciation and feel mortified about it right after.

2. Sharing my make-up. I have a very good friend who always asks to use my compact or lipstick whenever we're out together and she needs to powder her nose. Ick! I cringe at the thought of her facial oil and dirt sticking to my sponge. I don't know how to decline without offending her though so I let her use it anyway but I'm stuck with a shiny face after that because I won't use it anymore. Not until I get to wash my sponge.

3. Keeping my hands clean. Being a nurse, having clean hands is a must. And even outside the workplace, I still make it a point to keep them clean. I either clean them with hand sanitizer or I wash them. I've become even more OC about it since I had my baby that's why the skin on my hands now tend to be dry even if I moisturize.

4. Monetary bills. In my wallet, I always arrange my money in this manner: face front, smaller bill to larger bill and older to crisper new notes.

5. Hangers in my closet. I always group same-colored and same-type hangers together.

6. Books on a shelf or bookstand. They must be arranged according to their category, smaller & thinner books then the thicker & larger ones, paperback then hardbound ones.

7. Where I write. I always write on the line. It drives me crazy to see people writing above it.

8. Photos in a photo album. When I'm sticking my pictures in an album, I place them according to their chronological order. The snapshots tell a story, don't they?

9. Where I throw my trash. I cannot tolerate it when I see people hurling their empty soda cans or paper cups or other litter outside their car windows. Keep your car rubbish-free but the streets dirty, tsk, tsk! If I have any trash that needs to be disposed of, I keep it until I find a rubbish bin where I can throw it. Singapore has very strict laws about littering and I wish other countries would follow suit!

10. The way my food is arranged on my plate. I actually wasn't aware of this until about two years ago when a colleague pointed it out to me while we were having our lunch break. There's always a space between my rice and my other viands. I don't let them touch each other because I hate it when a sauce bleeds into another. And if I have two or three different dishes on my plate, I make it a point to take a spoonful of each alternately as I eat.

11. Arrangement of clothes in my closet. For clothes that I keep on hangers, I keep them from short to long, casual to dressy, lighter to darker hues, same shades together. For the ones that I keep folded, like shirts, round-necked ones are kept together and piled according to their color and whether they're printed or not. Same goes for V-necked, collared and other styles. Pants and slacks get the same treatment.

12. The way I eat. If I'm eating a burger, I begin biting from one side until I reach the other end. It's the same when I'm eating cake. I slice it from one side and make my way to the other side. Or, if I'm eating something that has a lot of stuff in it like fruit salad, I pick and eat my least favorite fruits first and save the best for last. Silly of me, I know *sheepish grin*.

13. What I keep in my pockets at work. When I'm on duty, I always keep in my pockets a small calculator with commonly used formulae written on small post-its and stuck onto the inside of the cover, blunt-edged scissors, 2 ballpoint pens (black & red ink), a small pocket notebook, goggles and my stethoscope. And a small bottle of hand lotion, hehe. I feel unsettled if I don't have all my "artillery" with me.

30 comments:

  1. I suspect that OC is becoming an overused and meaningless term to describe people who are tidy or organised, often used by chaotic, grubby people. Re your #1 for example, there is nothing wrong with wanting to get things right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on some of those! #1 (but with Dutch) and 4 I recognize most...
    Thanks for visiting my Dalai Lama quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of the same issues. Yikes. My husband just shakes his head. Great read. Have a wonderful TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a list, I think you might be related to my brother-in-law, you just described him perfectly.
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Nicholas: I agree with you. I never thought I was OC in any way until people began pointing them out to me so I decided to blog about it, hehe!

    @ Tink: I guess mostt of us are particular about how we do certain things. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on many of these. The closet-related OCs remind me of my father's mother. She'd get up at night and rotate the towels in the closet or make sure the clothes were shortest to longest, etc. I figured she was just super organized!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OC is alot more then just being organized and tidy. Some kids are obsessed with trains and stuff.

    Nice List! Come boogie on down to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the same way about my makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the bills in the wallet, Make-up (not that I wear much), 8, 9 and 12 and I have to have my arsenol in my pocket or purse wherever I go...'
    Happy Tt to you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I was more OC!! I guess chasing kids around forces you to let go of a lot of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little OC on things, but not the same things. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. #4 spoke to me.

    I will not only make sure all the bills are facing the same way and organized lowest to highest, but I will organize same denomination bills in order by serial number.

    What can I say? It just makes me happy. :)

    ~X

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby does the same with HIS money. I get a kick out of it too....no matter, I tell him....it still buys the same amount however it's turned. LOL [he's OC about his socks too...they have to be laying atop his shoes at night just a certain way. I got up one night and tied them in knots!] ---oh, and I'm the SAME with the English grammar and punctuation.

    Hope you can drop by and visit me today for my 13.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy. I am sorry. I hope you are joking - having worked with people with OCD, it's really a sad, awful way to live. ((HUG))

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with almost all of the things you posted!

    I oc with things being symmetrical.

    http://blog.mysocalledsite.com/?p=199 Happy TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am only OC when it comes to certain things in my life. I cannot have a mess when I am trying to work.

    When I used to teach, I would actually stop, and have the students pick up the paper off the floor, and straighten the desks, or else it would drive me nuts. :)

    Oh, and I have only white hangers in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Nicholas , even though I am a chaotic, grubby person. It sounds as if being OC would be pretty time-consuming (?) For me time is always in short supply....

    thanks for visiting mine!

    T13 #12 |  Pictures from the (Virtual) Earth:  Thirteen Landscapes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like having pockets at work again. I couldn't keep so much as a tissue handy when I was a cashier. It was a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candy, doesn't sound too bad to me! I'm nuts about keeping my hands clean so I don't catch a cold. I look up anything I'm not sure of in a dictionary...and I'm fine! So you are fine too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a couple of compulsion myself, but I won't share. Anyhow, thanks for visiting me and have a Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like to have things done correctly and on time. I never thought I was OC though. Nice new look by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are worse than I am. I am so bad about these things that I go out of the way not to be.

    SJR
    the Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting. I'm OC about different things, but it's fascinating to read about yours! I wish I could get my monsters OC about picking up their room....Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. P.S. I tagged you!

    http://blog.mysocalledsite.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm very organised and focus but I don't suffer from OCD. :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. gosh, i almost forgot to stop by..i appreciate that you visited me. i love this post 'cause, i'm OC period.

    come back over if you can and see my first posted excerpt from my book. i'd luv 2 hear your opinion.

    happy wk end *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  27. from someone who struggles with OC tendencies too, i loved this!

    and thanks for your comment on my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think we are all a little OC - I hope you can live with it.YOu sound very organised.
    I have different OC things.

    Thanks for visiting me.
    Did you husband like the Chocolate rules ?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks to all T13ers who came by and left their comments! By the way, I don't suffer from OCD. Just have strong tendencies, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. Have a wonderful day!