5.9.09

The Count of Monte Cristo

I've been on a classic book-reading binge (and I'm not ready to get off it yet!) and the latest book I finished re-reading is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

I have the unabridged version and it seems a bit daunting at 1,200+ pages long but since it's such a great, GREAT story, you'll hardly notice it except when you're itching to find out how it all ends.
 

The story revolves around Edmond Dantes, a young merchant sailor, who returns to his home in Marseille to wed his fiance Mercedes. On the eve of his civil wedding, he is falsely accused of treason and is eventually whisked away to a dungeon, without the benefit of a trial, in the Chateau d'If where he is to spend the rest of his life. His unfortunate lot is caused by the combination of actions of three men who acted for the welfare of their own interests. During his incarceration, he befriends a fellow prisoner, Abbe Faria, who is thought to be mad as he claims ownership of a great treasure hidden in the rock island of Monte Cristo. The old priest becomes his mentor and before he dies, he shares the secret of the fortune with Edmond, who eventually manages to escape and is able to use all this wealth to exact revenge on those who were responsible for his 14-year imprisonment.

It's an adventure story with the elements of love, mystery, betrayal, vengeance, redemption and hope. There are so many characters whose lives are interwoven but it's not hard to follow and the setting - France, Italy and the islands of the Mediterranean between 1815-1838 - is very interesting. And, I think, the reason this tale has transcended generations of readers is because the story is something we can all relate to. Maybe not from actual experience but you must admit that you've fantasized, once or twice, in being able to right certain wrongs the have been committed against you in a very diabolical, grand way. I know I have.

The time you'll spend reading this novel is worth every moment. Saying that it's a must-read is an understatement.

Now, I'm going to search for copies of The Three Musketeers and The Man In The Iron Mask. Do you have any classics that you would recommend?

Mood Music: The Count of Monte Cristo by Edward Shearmur

7 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movie of this book? I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I especially liked the movie's ending much better than the book's. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah really nice and movie. I have this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take note of this. The fact that you re-read it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cher A fellow fan! :-)

    @witsandnuts Oh, do please read it. I promise you'll enjoy it very much. Then watch the movie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have watched this but never read the book. Its one of my favorite movie and I am will be looking forward to read it once I grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Yellow Bells I'm sure the book will become your favorite, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. Have a wonderful day!