28.2.10

Turkish delights

Whenever J has a few days off from work, we always set an evening to go out. And since this is Saudi Arabia, going out for us usually means a trip to the mall and eating out. We did both yesterday evening.

After a quick trip to Riyadh Gallery mall, my son's favorite because of the "oasis" located in the middle of the mall's ground floor, we proceeded to Assaraya Turkish Restaurant. It's been in business for 20 years or so and they serve basic, but quite good, Turkish fare. The place is usually packed in the evenings, especially during the weekend, but we were lucky enough to immediately find a booth.



We started out with two free (yes, free) large slabs of Turkish naan bread served with hummus. We ordered some butter to spread over pieces of the warm bread then dipped it in the hummus. Yum!



Our orders then arrived. This is grilled shrimp served over french fries. There's nothing extra special about it except that I love grilled shrimp. Hehe.



I'm not a big fan of lamb but their grilled lamb chop is one of my few exceptions. The meat was cooked just right; well done but still juicy enough with the taste not being too gamy. 



Oven-baked chicken in clay pot with tomato sauce. This was really good, too, although I didn't eat much of it because I concentrated more on the lamb and shrimp. 



And our meal wouldn't have been complete without some delicious yellow rice. J didn't eat any of this though but my sister and I managed to clean up the plate anyway.

It was one hearty, extremely filling dinner and I think I ate enough to last me a week. 


Mood Music: Turkish Delight (Original Mix) by Guy Gerber