20.5.10

it's Crystal versus Lee

This is it, the final two: Crystal Bowersox and Lee Dewyze. I'm quite pleased because they were two of my early favorites. And these were their best performances this week:


Definitely a whole lot of soul here. And I never knew her voice could go that high. Love the grungy tone of her voice, too.


Infinitely more drama in this one. I felt my hair stand on end once the choir came in but I don't think it would've been as great without them.

I truly would like Crystal to win. Musically and vocally, she's so much better than Lee. She also wins hands-down on the consistency department. And I really admire the way she hasn't pimped her being a single mom, her kid or her illness to garner more votes. She's been "this is who I am and this is what I can do... vote for me if you think I deserve it" the entire season. She's a truer artist than her co-finalist but I think the dreadlocks, tattoos and piercings are something Middle America would never go for.

Lee, on the other hand, is vanilla compared to Crystal. Despite his rocker vibe, he has a certain charm that will definitely pull in more votes from the tweenies, teens and mommies. He's had a few great moments during this season; I especially remember his performance of Treat Her Like A Lady which was awesome. Still, I can't forget either that he often goes flat on the high notes and, considering that American Idol is supposed to be a singing contest, that's actually a big point against him.

I have a feeling that, looking back to last year's results and the judges' reactions, the more talented Crystal will lose to Lee, the lovable rocker. Commercial appeal trumps true artistry in American Idol anytime.


Mood Music: Maybe I'm Amazed by Crystal Bowersox