28.7.10

keeping things on the up & up


I would like to believe that I'm an optimistic person. I try to see things through rose-colored glasses. It doesn't mean I'm always perky and happy but wallowing is something I'd rather not do. And I don't like burdening other people with my misery either.

The time between July 2008 and June 2009 wasn't a very good one for me. My hands were full with taking care of Jeolo, I was stuck in the house almost 24/7 and I was going nearly insane from boredom. When I later read back my blog posts from that period, I realized how whiny and depressed I sounded. Even when I tried to be positive, there was no ring of sincerity there. I decided to delete most of them because I didn't like the way they weighed me down.

Thankfully, I was able to sort myself out eventually. I still have my downtimes but now I just let it out, get done with the drama and move on.

It's so easy to vent our feelings or share our opinions to a large audience via Facebook, Twitter, Plurk and other social networks, these days. It's heartening to read words of comfort, support, agreement or have a healthy discussion with friends whom we know in real life or online. But my sympathy can turn to annoyance in a matter of days if that friend's woes continue to show up in my timeline several times a day every day. I also balk from people who react negatively to everything. They're like positive-energy vampires who try to suck the sunshine from me and I don't want that in my life.

Keeping a sanguine attitude and surrounding myself with people who give off good vibes has proven to be one of my best defenses against the blues. It definitely makes me a happier person all around and, to my husbo's relief, an easier person to live with. ;)
"We have no more right to put our discordant states of mind into the lives of those around us and rob them of their sunshine and brightness than we have to enter their houses and steal their silverware." - from the movie Holiday (1938)

Mood Music: How You Live (Turn Up the Music) by Point of Grace

2 comments:

  1. OMG candy, that is soooo true! some people "abuse" the power of being able to share everything online. i'm not perfect and i'm not always 100% happy but i'm also considerate of other people who listens to my whining. now that i'm a bit older, i've learned that saying it once is really enough. emotionally speaking, i too get tired from dwelling in negativity, so now, i just say my ka-badtripan once and then i shut up and move on.

    love this post, kapatid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I think people who dwell on their personal drama online just enjoy the attention they get but they don't see how counter-productive it is to their recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. Have a wonderful day!