31.8.10

scrubbed

I've always been jealous of other women who have smooth skin and invisible pores. I was unfortunate enough to inherit my dad's oily skin and my mom's large pores that's why I need to be meticulous about my skin care. By meticulous, I only mean that I make sure I keep my skin clean.

My beauty regimen, if you can call it that, is quite basic: wash, exfoliate, tone and moisturize. And since I refuse to pay for expensive facials here in Riyadh, I improvise instead. It helps keep my skin from breaking out except for the occasional pimple or two. But I'm still relentlessly plagued by whiteheads and blackheads despite the scrubbing that's supposed to keep them at bay.

Then, about a week ago, while trying to find out how to use baking soda to clean out our microwave, I "discovered" that people also use it as an exfoliant. Baking soda = exfoliant = really?! 




After doing some research and reading mostly rave reviews, I decided to put it to the test. I mixed 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water. The consistency was just right for me. After washing my face, I slathered some of the mixture on and proceeded to firmly but gently scrub in circular motions like I would with my regular apricot scrub. I immediately felt the difference after I rinsed because my skin felt so much smoother and softer than it usually did. And when I looked closely to check on those pesky whiteheads and blackheads on my nose and chin, I was so happy to see that they had cleared up a lot!

I've been using it every other day for a week now and I love it. I even recommended it to J but he got a little too enthusiastic and scrubbed too vigorously thus he ended up with red, irritated skin. And it did make my skin feel a mite dry when I didn't moisturize immediately after although it also may have something to do with the climate here. But I'm so happy with it that I'll be ditching the apricot scrub I've been using since college for baking soda. What's even better is that it's quite cheap and a box will last me a very long time. Less chemical stuff on my face, too. :D


Mood Music: Natural Woman by Aretha Franklin

7 comments:

  1. hmm, masubukan nga :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nagulat ako, may comment agad. :D Good morning!

    Pero yes, I highly recommend that you try out this baking soda scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this tip...i have bad skin---got it from my parent's genes (sisihin daw ba?)...will try this over the weekend and see the results on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. sana tablan ang fez ko hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh! gusto ko itong subukan. Tnx for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. Have a wonderful day!