28.8.09

my old friend Anne

On one of my trips to the bookstore this month, I did some browsing down the Classics aisle and I suddenly missed reading some of my old favorites. So, on a whim, I got myself a copy each of Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea and The Count of Monte Cristo.


I decided to start with Anne of Green Gables since I was in the mood for something lighthearted. The last time I read this book was when I was 13 or 14 years old and it was a copy that I salvaged from my parents' elementary school in the province. The library was throwing away some of their old books and my cousins and I happened to be there at the school grounds on a weekend. It was obviously one of those children's books donated by Americans from God-knows-what-year because it was hardbound and printed on very thick paper although it was pretty beaten up. I decided to take it home with me and that is how I met Anne Shirley.

The story begins when both unmarried brother and sister, Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, apply to an orphanage for a boy to help them out on their farm, Green Gables, in the fictional community of Prince Edward Island in Canada. They get the surprise of their lives when a redheaded and extremely loquacious little girl steps off the train instead. Anne is quite a handful and manages to get into a lot of scrapes but her wit and good nature eventually wins over the hearts of almost everyone she meets. I love how she uses her imagination and incurably romantic disposition to find something good in everyone and everything around her.

The second book shows Anne at 16 and becoming a teacher at her old school in Avonlea. Despite her more mature and responsible position, she remains as strong-willed and romantic as ever and still manages to get herself into trouble.

Aside from Anne, you'll also meet several colorful characters which makes these books so endearing and entertaining. And Avonlea still makes me wish I could go and live there to this day.

I had so much fun getting reacquainted with Anne again and I can't wait to share her with, hopefully, a little girl of my own in the near future. If you haven't read these books yet, it's never too late no matter how old you are. And if you're too lazy to read (I hope not!), you can look for a DVD copy of the TV adaptation which was very loyal to the book, by the way.

“You don’t know what’s going to happen through the day, and there’s so much scope for imagination.” - Anne of Green Gables



Mood Music: Pure Imagination by Lou Rawls