26.3.10

and it's down to ten

When I first found out that Miley Cyrus would be mentoring the contestants this week, I went "what the...?!" She's not exactly on top of most people's list when you're going to talk about mentors. Ugh. The most anyone could hope for was that she would say something useful at least. And she did, surprisingly.

Moving on, the theme was Billboard's Hot 100s and here's what I thought about their performances:

Lee Dewyze. The Letter by The Boxtops. He tried to kick his game into a higher gear but was slightly drowned out by the brass instruments and the backup singers. It was okay overall though.

Paige Miles. Against All Odds by Phil Collins. From the first note, her voice was shaky and it didn't get any better as she sang on. It was cringe-worthy.

Tim Urban. Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen. In an attempt to liven up his boring image, he tried to incorporate a couple of dance moves with his singing and it just didn't work.

Aaron Kelly. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith.  I thought he'd be done for with this song choice but he wisely avoided, what with laryngitis and tonsilitis plaguing him, an attempt to do that Steven Tyler scream and went with a kind of country vibe and pulled it off.

Crystal Bowersox. Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin. She started out with her usual relaxed, effortless singing then she let go and rocked it out, woohoo! Her voice has such power and control and I'm hoping that whatever surprise she hinted about next week will bring her to another level.

Michael Lynche. When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge. It was pretty good but it was full of what I don't like about R&B - not leaving a single line untouched by runs, riffs and falsettos.

Andrew Garcia. I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye. He seemed absolutely lost without his guitar and, to quote Simon, "You sucked the soul out of that song and tortured it."

Katie Stevens. Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie. Definitely one of her better performances and, I think, she should keep on doing songs along that line because it suits her.

Casey James. The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News. He has really surprised me with his consistency. I didn't think he had any more surprises under his sleeve but with this song, he showed more of what his voice can do and I enjoyed it very much.

Didi Benami. You're No Good by Linda Ronstadt. She tried to act all sultry and vampy but I found it boring and too contrived.

Siobhan Magnus. Superstition by Stevie Wonder. Except for her trademark wail at the end, I didn't feel the usual excitement I get when she sings. And I think she should stop doing that extended high note all the time or it might get too old very fast.

And who went home? Paige Miles, thank goodness.


Mood Music: Me and Bobby McGee by Pink