6.3.10

Round Two

This week was definitely much better but compared to past seasons, I don't seem to feel quite as excited. I'm not sure if it's just me losing interest in AI or this year's selection is merely not that great. :-(

The guys sang first on Wednesday because Crystal Bowersox, one of my favorites, got sick (diabetes related?) and didn't get the "go" signal from her doctor hence the switch in performance nights between the two groups.

Lee Dewyze sang Lips of an Angel by Hinder and I really liked it although I think he went kind of flat on his high notes. Simon said he was the best singer among the guys. I think he has a man crush on Lee, hehe! He's also one of my favorites but I'm not as crazy about him as I was with Chris Daughtry. Michael Lynch brought his game, too, and sang James Brown's It's a Man's Man's Man's World and got good reviews all around. Pretty boy Casey James surprised me with his guitar-playing skills... Wow! Those riffs! His singing wasn't as good as last week's though. I loved it when Simon asked Kara, "Did he not return your calls?" after she criticized his vocals but he did agree with her. Alex Lambert's performance this time was waaaaay better than his last with his pulled back version of John Legend's Everybody Knows. I knew the moment Ryan Seacrest announced that Aaron Kelly was singing My Girl that Simon would think it was too old a song for him to be singing and his mention of Justin Bieber's name indicated just that. Tim Urban is a cutie but I think he has yet to prove that he deserves the second chance they gave him even if he did better. I'm beginning to lose hope with Andrew Garcia. He sang a song that I love, You Give Me Something by James Morrison, but I felt bored through most of it. I sure hope that he'll finally find his groove next week *fingers crossed*. John Park sang Gravity by John Mayer and he looked stiff and emotionless sitting on a stool. Todrick Hall chose Tina Turner's What's Love Got To Do With It while Jermaine Sellers sang What's Going On by Marvin and Gaye and like last week, they both tried to kind of make it their own but it didn't work again.

I've noticed that a lot of the contestants are trying to put a different spin to the songs they choose, like Adam Lambert did last season, but most fail miserably at it.

Ladies' night began with Crystal Bowersox singing Creedence Clearwater Revival's Long As I Can See The Light. I actually missed her performance and had to search for it on YouTube. She was incredible! Her voice was powerful and she hit the high notes without screaming. And I admire her for not playing up her illness for sympathy votes and for not trying to conform. Another non-conformist in the group, Lilly Scott, sang A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke and also did wonderfully. I love her voice! Katelyn Epperly almost lulled me to sleep with her version of Coldplay's The Scientist although she did a good job in singing it. I was surprised when the judges apparently liked Michelle Delamor's delivery of Creed's With Arms Wide Open because I hated what she did to the song and I didn't think she sang it that well either. Hmph. Haeley Vaughn chose the The Climb and her voice seemed kind of flat and didn't seem to connect with what the song was about. Lacey Brown followed Kara's advice and chose Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer. I think the song was perfect for her but her singing wasn't awe-inspiring. I think Didi Benami did well with Bill Wither's Lean On Me but the judges almost made her break down in tears with their critiques. Katie Steven's showed her youthfulness with Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae and did good but the judges said they want more from her. Paige Miles did Walk Away by Kelly Clarkson but I didn't pay much attention to her performance so I have no opinion whatsoever about it. And then there was Siobhan Magnus. I adore her! And whoa... that great big note she hit singing Aretha Franklin's Think made everyone's jaw drop. She's crazy and quirky and I can't wait to listen to her again.

In the results show, John Park and Jermaine Sellers were the next to go for the guys while Michelle Delamor and Haeley Vaughn got the boot on the girls' side. No disappointments for me there.

I wonder how they'll all do next week? Four more will be eliminated then we'll have the top 12.


Mood Music: Long As I Can See the Light by Creedence Clearwater Revival