1.7.10

sound trip down memory lane

Don't you just love it how listening to a certain song, or songs, can take you back to a time and place in your past and evoke feelings you'd thought were long gone? I've been listening to music from the 80s and early 90s today and I couldn't help but reminisce about the old times, both good and bad. Here are a few random songs and the memories attached to them:

I remember...
  • that the first song I ever danced to in a school program was The Police's De Do Do Do De Da Da Da and we all wore white gloves, sparkly headbands, dark blue jeans and white sandals. I was in the first grade then.
  • dancing to Madonna's Papa Don't Preach back in fourth grade with my classmates and all the while feeling  that we were so controversial even if we weren't quite sure what the song actually meant. :) 
  • that my first ever favorite band was Menudo, that I loved Robby Rosa and Ricky Martin and their song If You're Not Here used to make me cry. 
  • that the song Body Rock will forever remind me of my classmates Roland and Joey who could break dance like nobody's business back in elementary.
  • that Rick Astley's Together Forever has etched into my mind that people who have two left feet should not attempt to dance a choreographed number in public.
  • my friend Mir whistling the opening notes of Wind of Change by Scorpion while arriving late for Journalism class with the scent of his Cool Water cologne wafting through the room as he came in through the classroom door.
  • how all the guitar-playing people back then learned how to play Extreme's More Than Words. You couldn't go through an entire day without hearing its strains coming from different classrooms.
  • having no specific memories attached to I'll Remember You by Skid Row but listening to it always takes me back to the halls of my high school.
  • the all-night event we had at school for our PE 104 included a whole lot of dancing and headbanging to Sweet Child O' Mine
  • that I dreamed of having the guy I liked sing Firehouse's Love of a Lifetime to me. LOL. :O
  • how a good friend made us call her favorite FM station to request Can't Cry Hard Enough to be played over and over again after she and her boyfriend broke up.
  • that I thought the name Eraserheads was a silly name for a band but my friend, who was studying in UP that time, made me listen to Pare Ko and I fell irrevocably in love. With the band, not the guy, hehe.
So many songs and so many memories. They can make smile, laugh out loud and sometimes even cringe but it's always nice to sometimes recall them and realize just how far I've come.


Mood Music: Night Swimming by REM

4 comments:

  1. I know all these songs. :) When we do videoke, I normally select old, old songs, mas feel kantahin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iba kasi pag may memory associated with a song, mas masarap talagang kantahin. A few of the songs I mentioned are videoke staples among my friends and I. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Madonna and Menudo are my all time faves!!! I feel like I'm stuck in the 80s sometimes because they bring back so many good memories :)

    happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madonna and Menudo make up most of the soundtrack of my grade school years. Good times! :)

    Have a wrinkle-free week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this post. Have a wonderful day!